Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Artist



I'm sure you've all heard of the movie The Artist by now. But have you seen it? Why, you simply must!

The Artist was written and directed by Michel Hazanvicius in 2011. It stars Jean Dujardin, Berenice Bejo, John Goodman, James Cromwell, and Missi Pyle, and has won tons of awards.





The best thing about it is that it is, mainly, a silent film. According to one of my film major friends, when it came out a ton of people asked for their money back because they didn't know and unfortunately couldn't enjoy the simple beauty of silent films.





Of course, I was intensely satisfied to see that the costumes were incredibly accurate for the time period (late 1920s to the early 1930s) as well as the hairstyles. Nothing makes me angrier than period movies that get fashion wrong.



Oh that mustache...



I heard once that the fact that color was introduced into film/photography actually distracts the viewer, and that black and white makes you focus on what is truly important and will give you more of an experience. I completely agree.





The inserts were also incredibly simple, which, for me, after an emotional scene, leaves way more of an impression. This movie dives deep into the human heart and mind with wrenching emotion. I've never seen something so true.









This scene right here about broke my poor little heart.



The actors in this film were SO animated, incredibly expressive, and overall ridiculously wonderful. I felt like I could be them.



What happened to women? Why are people like Nikki Minaj and other floozies considered "hot" or "sexy" when there is beauty like this in the world?



I was born in the wrong decade.

So. See The Artist. Please. Treat yourself to some wine, something pretty and comfortable, relax, and enjoy one of the best movies I've seen yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment